Tags
 
 
 
 
 
 
Rate This

Today my guest is Cathy Baker from Rhyme and Reason. Cathy is a wonderful writer and award-winning poet (She’s even sharing one of her beautifully poignant poems with us today) who knows what it means to sacrifice in order to provide her family with a meaningful life.
What’s your idea of a perfect day?
The perfect day for me would have to begin in the NC mountains. We visit there quite often and when we do, nothing compares to eating breakfast in the local cafe, hunting for antique trinkets and treasures, and then heading back to the cabin for a time of rest, reading, and writing. What more could a girl ask for? Okay, a cupcake from MacFarlin’s Bakery in Hendersonville, NC would top things off quite nicely.
Do you like your own handwriting?
It depends. If I’m in a hurry, it’s a mess. If I have time, I enjoy adding a whimsical girlie-like touch.
What are you listening to these days?
David Crowder, Adele, Lady Antebellum, Frank Sinatra, Joss Stone, ‘70‘s, and George Winston.
If they made a movie about your life, who would play you? What would the movie be titled?
Diane Lane, in “From Pauper to Poet”
Who or what inspires you?
Scriptures, music (especially instrumental), good poetry, nature, my hubby, etc.
What is your money philosophy, and how does it affect your daily living?
Wait for it. If we don’t have cash for a project or other large ticket item, we wait. We’ve learned the hard way that immediate gratification rarely produces wise decisions. As a result, we have roof shingles in need of replacing, a gravel driveway hungry for asphalt, and a back porch begging to be screened-in. Yes, waiting causes frustration but we decided long ago we’d rather feel frustrated than burdened. I believe this has saved us much stress in our marriage over the years.
What sacrifices have you made to create the life you live now? What benefits have come from making these sacrifices?
At one point in my life I was a single mom raising two little boys. We were left both emotionally and financially drained when my previous husband left suddenly. Going through those difficult times made me realize what’s most important—time with those we love. As a single mom, I wasn’t able to give them things to play with, but I was able to give them someone to play with—me! When I remarried, I was blessed to be able to stay home with the boys. To make this work, we moved into an older two bedroom and one bath home (no granite tops there, I assure you!). Our oldest son and his wife ended up buying that little house many years later because of the good memories that still lingered. What greater benefit could there be?
What’s the best advice you’ve ever received, financial or otherwise? 
Give to God first. As we all know, He doesn’t need our money but tithing continually reminds us that we are simply stewards.
Any money-saving tips you’d like to share?
With Christmas just around the corner, my tip is to buy gifts throughout the year and tuck them away in a closet or under the bed. Wise spending offers relief to both the budget and our schedules, allowing for a more relaxed holiday season.
I live in Simpsonville SC with my amazing hubby, Brian, and our answer to the empty-nest syndrome, Rupert, a very cute but spoiled Lhasa Apso. Our two boys are now married and we have a beautiful granddaughter and a grandson on the way from Uganda. I enjoy writing poetry, devotions, and teaching adult Bible studies.
~.~
“Soft Clover”, the poem below, shares how I became a Christ-follower as a result of my first husband’s departure. Only God can bring beauty from life’s ashes.
Soft Clover
Crushed as soft clover
beneath a heavy foot.
Each crevice of the heart exposed,
pressed beyond all measure.
Swept away in one faint breeze,
the essence of my hopes and dreams.
Roused to reality,
can’t I sleep forever?
Awaken, sweet daughter,
He whispers in my ear.
For the fragrance
of true life
lingers for eternity.
When one is
crushed as soft clover.
—Cathy Baker